Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Richard

September 22nd we lost one of our own to cancer.
My main mentor, Dr. Richard Poole.

I first met Richard and the Wekiwa Basin Banding crew just after Hurricane Jeanne when I was finding myself in the wrong park while trying to get into the banding life. I found my way to the official banding site the following week and was welcomed in with open arms and never left.

I was just an amature photographer wanting to get closer to birds not often seen up close. I put in work, learning, banding, and helping to update the blog for the original website. Eventually, we ended the project at WSSP in early 2007 and moved to a to a new location at Lake Lotus in September of 2008 because I did not want to let the legacy go.

We opened on my birthday after Tropical Storm Fay flooded the park, delaying our start by a month. The first birds we captured were two Northern Cardinals in Net 4. Richard saw me heading to the banding table with 2 bird bags and shouted: "Andrew! You are a success!" Thus, began our run that lasts until this day.

During the early years at the Lake Lotus site we cleared tons of invasive plants and removed trash from the Little Wekiva when we could reach it and trimmed and knocked down unwanted trees when the birds were few during some days.

Boat

Richard also had a passion for building bird boxes which he placed throughout the region and we monitored them every year. Unfortunately, most of our boxes at Lake Lotus ended up being apartments for Flying Squirrels. There are pleanty of snags that attracted other birds, apparently.

Birdbox

Richard made friends in the bird recovery community. We ended up banding raptors before release at the Avian Recovery Center and the Audubon Birds of Prey Center over the years.

ARC

Enventually, he retired from the banding level and returned to his true passion: gardening and plants in general. He planned out native speicies all around the net lanes and maintained them as long as he could. Sometimes he was accompanied by his loyal dog, Tanka.

Dog and Man

When I was busy at the banding table or repairing net lines, he was out clearing downed limbs after storms and emproving the land on the days that he could.

Sawing

I am a man of few words, so I was always thankful that Richard was there during our birding festivals to hold court about all things banding, native plants, and trying to preserve the environment in general.

Birdapalooza

Back at the banding site, Richard taught all of us about native plantings and lead new voluteers through the years in enriching the Lake Lotus area. Always with a cheerful demeanor and helpful hand.

Planting

I have spent 17 years of my life with two of the most amazing humans I have known. Richard and Christine helped me learn and grow in many ways and I am forever grateful for their time and patience. And friendship.

Christine and Richard

The last words Richard said to me were: "Andrew, I am glad you took over. You make people smile."

It wouldn't have been possible without you, sir. And Christine, and all of our volunteers and supporters.

We loved you and will miss you profoundly. Thank you for your guidence, time, and showing me the knot I tie almost every week and smile everytime I do it. Looking after your trees as long as I can.

Rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne WOctober 1, 2021 at 8:21 AM

    Lovely to see the pictures and read your words. I stayed with Richard and Christine on my only ever visit to the States. One of the highlights was visiting on a banding day. I was made very welcome by themselves and those amazing enthusiast folk at the banding station.

    ReplyDelete